So I just recently celebrated my 27th birthday. From my 24th - 26th birthday I did the usual go out and black out. This year I took a whole different approach it was the chillest yet best birthday I had it years. I had to stop and ask myself what has changed from 26 to 27. So I decided to come up with this list of 27 great things about being 27 and great!
1. You still feel young..er - You may be 27 but you still feel 21... ok, maybe not 21 any more but 25. Defintely 25, either way, totally starting to get the whole "Age is a state of mind" saying.
2. Older Friends - At this age bumping elbows with older, more successful, people than those that are in their 20's is becoming the norm. Which in turn means bumping elbows with their older, more successful, single friends.
3. You still look like you're 17 - What can you say? It may be a case of "Black don't crack??" haha!But for real... getting carded at R-rated movies is getting old.
4. Lack of Recklessness - You never knew when the whole "Let's go out and get f*cked up" nature would leave you, but it finally has, now it's more of... Let's go out get tipsy then go home and go to bed. No more waking up the next morning wondering how you got wherever you are.
4. Reflection - Being able to look at the young and dumb and realize that was once you and that you survived it. Congratulations.
5. Freedom - Doing things because you want to. Want to go to Vegas this weekend? Sounds good. NYC? Let's do it!! 2 Week Road trip, I'll pack my bags now!
6. High School Reunion - Realizing that your high school reunion is just around the corner and knowing you've done insanely better then 94% of your classmates who were so much "cooler : then you. Wished you cared enough to attend... but you don't
7. You know what you want - No more kissing the frog hoping he's a prince in disguise, you can see the warts clear as day... or his shining princely sword. heh. But who says you want to date anyways, if need be you know how to set feelings aside and successfully pull off the "one and done" better than most.
8. People want to be you - No longer considered the crazy reckless college kid, but not too old to be considered boring. The younger kids dream about being at your level some day and try to emulate you and the older kids wish they could relive "those days" and live vicariously through you. Enjoy it while it lasts
9. Children - Whether they're children of your own, a friend's, or your niece or nephews, by this age the babyboom is in full swing. Can't get enough of kissing those fat baby cheeks over and over again. Just make sure you don't have lip herpes.
10. Weddings - Just like the baby boom, by now at the start of spring through fall you're attending a wedding regularly. We all know weddings are the perfect excuse for the weekend vacation and a little fun.
11. Friends that Move away - Friends that move away to cool places = An excuse to visit cool places, a free place to stay and free tour guide.
12. Old Clothes - Realizing you can still fit jeans from high school. 'Nuff said.
13. Discovery - You are no longer a foreigner to yourself. You know exactly who you are. After all you spend 26 years defining that person. And Hell, if you find out you don't like what you created, you're not too old to change.
14. Young Professional - You're the baby in your local young professional organization. Even maybe too young to be in the young professional organization, either way, the older professional will take notice.
15. Season Tickets - Tailgating at your alma-mater's football or basketball game is a thing of the past (unless you really want to do it) now-a-days you can afford season tickets and maybe even the sky box. A thing of luxury.
16. No Drug Addictions - Well considering some of the more famous celebrity overdoses (Marilyn Monroe, Kurt Cobain, Amy Winehouse) seems to occur when they're 27, reaching this age with no drug addictions probably means Death by OD is not in your future
17. No need to Lie - Depending on who you found yourself talking to, younger or older, you probably at some point wished that you could lie about your age. But 27 is a nice medium. No need to want to be younger or older.
18. Confidence - Do I really need to go into this? I think not.
19. Appreciation - The road you traveled was not always an easy one, looking back at the family members that have helped you out and the friends that are still around brings a whole new sense of appreciation for those in your life into perspective.
20. Bachelor(ette) pad - Kick your feet up on your ikea coffee table and recline back on that ikea love seat. It may not be comfortable, and it may be awkward to sit on, but it sure is stylish and did I mention it looks fantastic with the city skyline as its backdrop. You live for the ooooh's and aaaah's of friends when they walk in.
21. Oldies But Goodies - no longer refers to the song your parents jammed to back in there day, but refers the songs both you AND your parents jammed to when you both were young
22. Fads Don't Phase You - Out with the flashy, begone with the trashy, it's all about keeping calm and staying classy. Whether it's fashion trends or social trends you recognize them for what they are. Let the young ones chase em and stay classy
23. Doing things alone - Those days of asking a friend to join you is over. Now you go to the coffee shop alone, happy hour alone, shopping alone. You're quite comfortable being alone and In fact you may even prefer it! Now time to tackle going to the movies alone.... well, maybe not
24. Your Body Is Your Temple - You actually start treating yourself right. Getting enough sleep, exercise, stopped smoking, practice a good diet, and mindset. Your body took enough abuse when you were younger and now you treat it like gold.
25. Spirituality - Whatever that means to you, there's more of it and you're becoming closer to it as it lifts you up and guides you in life
26. No Judgments - for when you do decide to let loose and act a fool, no one is going to judge you. After all, you're mature, you keep it classy 99.9% of the time. You're allowed to get wild a few times out of the year.
27. You're Awesome - Point Blank. No other explanations needed